Friday, March 15, 2013

That's a Wrap!

Yesterday (March 14, 2013) we had a great experience giving our prepared "closing ceremony" presentation to MPK's Dato and Directors. It was very satisfying to be able to deliver a presentation of all the effort our client and us had collaborated on together. I also greatly enjoyed seeing the other two teams presentations. Each one them really gave it their complete focus and worked diligently to help MPK with their requested projects!



In typical Malaysian fashion, right in the middle of Dato's closing to the meeting he stopped to take a call, or maybe it was he went out to smoke. You just get used to it and know that it's nothing personal, just the way they are culturally. He said some really great things about our work. My colleague Jayme wrote them down for us. Here is a summary of what he said,
"I am definitely very impressed with the work you have produced… with the recommendations you have made… how you have furnished us with practical approaches… that are straight-forward and easy to implement. On behalf of MPK, we are in an enormous debt to IBM for their efforts as part of CSC – for helping us to be a better organization in Kuantan. I hope your memories in Malaysia will be one of the fondest in your life."
- Dato’ Hj. Zulkifli Bin Hj. Yaacob (President, MPK)

After our presentations were complete we got this photo with Zatil, middle left, the Mine Manager and Huda, middle right, from the the Marketing department who we had also worked with quite a bit. We had some High Tea with Dato after the meeting was closed and he caught wind that we were headed back to the Ikan Bakar for dinner that night. When we arrived there were some MPK staff there and the food for all twelve of us had already been ordered, paid for, and was waiting on the table! Here's an idea what today's catch barbecued up for us looked like.


Today (March 15, 2013) is my last day in Kuantan, and I must say I think it is the first day that I actually had some time to just go out and walk around the town. On the way to the post, to get some stamps for the post cards I still hadn't mailed, we managed to find what must be the only cross walk in the entire, and I do mean entire, town! It didn't exactly go to sidewalks on each side, but it did connect two schools. Maybe there is a future for pedestrians in Kuantan. . . 

I was also finally able to take a peak at the city Mosque. It is a very prominent building in the city and with the call to prayer which woke many of us on many many of the mornings (although we found out not from this mosque but a little one directly across the street from our hotel), one I didn't want to miss.

I am happy to report that Corporate Service Corps has definitely been a life enriching experience. I've made friends I will keep for the rest of my life. Tomorrow I depart bright and early (leaving at around 4:45AM) for the Kuantan airport to meet the wife in Kuala Lumpur.The CSC program is a once in a lifetime opportunity to immerse in a unfamiliar environment with colleagues from around the world, while learning about many different cultures, and collaborating to achieve business/community goals. All of these factors combined changes a person for the rest of their life. Malaysia will always be a part of who I now am. Thanks for all the "nasi" Ademar, Aparna, Georg, Jayme, Jennifer, Juan, Michelle, Pawel, Petra, Piet, and Zuhe!

Mexica (Chineses food), our First and Last team dinner in Kuantan.
#ibmcsc Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment